Story of Teenage Firefighter

David Apperson (Foster Kid) was born on 3 September 1959 at Oregon Health Science University. Due to the fact he was born a Bastard Child he was deemed by the State of Oregon to be a juvenile delinquent and a ward-of-the-state the day he was born.

In November of 1961 David was taken to GITMO Cuba without proper legal documentation by his stepfather who was an active duty member with the United States Navy.

A short time after arriving at GITMO Cuba, David had his pinky fingers broken by his stepfather because he accidentally shut the back sliding door on a cats tail, which ended up scratching his stepbrother.

On 22 October 1962 David was evacuated from GITMO along with 1702 others due to the global tensions associated with the Cuban Missile Crises. The situation was handled superbly by John F Kennedy, and most important, the president's adviser, Dwight D Eisenhower on effective military strategy.

During the evacuation the White House released to the press that all identities of evacuees were properly vetted while evacuees headed toward Norfolk Virginia in four ships, including, but not limited to, the USNS Upshur with roughly 4000 US Army Rangers (originally headed to Panama for Jungle Training).

However, the paperwork of a few of the evacuees had been falsified. This is due to the fact; At least three children had records and documentation modified to show that they were military dependents, whereby, David Apperson (at three years of age) was the youngest of the three. Two are male, and one is female. As of 11 November 2018 all three are still alive.

According to US Navy documents released to the media, a small Baptist Church in Texas gathered winter jackets for the children to stay warm while spending time in Norfolk Virginia.

After the crisis was over David was sent back to GITMO with other evacuees and remained there until early November 1963.

Due to the stress of the Cuban Missile Crises, David began sucking his thumb at the age of three. As a child, David was constantly whipped and beaten for this action until at five years old he was beaten so bad with a navy belt buckle he had black and blue welts over his entire back and over his legs.

From five to ten years of age David endured extremely traumatic abuse: (a few events listed here)
  • Numerous beatings that left black, blue and red bruises
  • At eight years old David was locked and chained to a metal bed because he wanted to Tricker Treat on Halloween
  • At 9 years of age stepfather stabbed David with a fork in his left arm (the same arm he was later bayoneted with while serving in the military)
  • David had a bottle of Tabasco sauce poured down his throat while being held down
  • On his 10th birthday (1969) he received a severe head wound by his Trainer (Chief Petty Officer) which was treated at the Port Hueneme Naval Hospital in Port Hueneme California. Individual spent 10 days in jail and was then Court-martialed.
From the age of 10 David was sent to foster homes, juvenile halls, reform schools and even a hard labor camp for kids run by the State of Oregon.

At 12 years old and weighing less than 70 pounds, David put down an armed guard three times his size at the Ventura County Juvenile Facility in Ventura California. David was subsequently kicked out of the state of California and sent back to Oregon.

During the Keep America Beautiful Campaign, David was sent to MacLaren School for Boys (Woodburn Oregon) for drawing a picture promoting marijuana, which was published on 13 April 1973 in the Central Oregonian before the towns people realized what the drawing actually represented. David was confined three months in the Prineville City Jail and nine months at MacLaren School for Boys.

He was later transferred to the Tillamook Boys Camp, whereby in just a few short weeks he escaped from the work camp where he made the decision to save two other escapees but ended up spending two weeks in solitary confinement when sent back to MacLaren School for Boys.

Six months after the escape David was sent to the Double T Boys Ranch in Bend Oregon.

After arriving at the Double T he became a firefighter and map reader with the last teenage fire crew in the State of Oregon. At this time David was 14 years of age.

Image of David Apperson with another teenage firefighter taken by Tom Cobos in Central Oregon summer of 1974.

It was during this summer David put an X between the eyes of a US Marine.

When David was 15 years old the State of Oregon sent him back to an abusive home situation, whereby an assault is still on record in Crook County Oregon.

Not lasting long in Crook County, David went back to the Double T Boys Ranch, when as a teenager David worked as a night counselor and cook to pay for his expenses and finish high school, after which he entered Military Service at 17 years of age.

Image of David Apperson taken in February 1977 at Fort Leonard Wood.

In the spring of 2018 Iraq Combat Medic Robert Garcia of Redding California oversaw the creation of this document

Bookmark and Share

DMZ Veteran Copyright Information

Korean War Veteran is a service disabled veteran owned blog owned, operated and copyrighted © 2000 - 2020 by David Apperson
Korean DMZ Veteran: Story of Teenage Firefighter